Tania Solonas, McLeod Lake Indian Band, B.C., Episode 35
February 08, 2022
First Nation Land Management Resource Centre
In this episode, you'll meet Tania Solonas, land management officer with the McLeod Lake Indian Band. With about 500 members, MLIB is one of the most experienced First Nations with the land code process, being the second in the province and among the first in Canada to sign onto the Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management.
- how the Band's addition to Treaty 8 in 2000 sparked interest in the land code;
- why having a land code isn't a one-shot deal; it can be modified over time;
- challenges exist even with a land code. Some community priorities can still wait years for implementation;
- why the community sees a need to ratify an amendment this year to address enforcement issues;
- where McLeod Lake Indian Band sees future development opportunities beyond the current Duz Cho Group of Companies.
For more information, visit www.mlib.ca. Please comment wherever you listen to this podcast. You can also send comments or suggestions to our executive producer John Makson at email@example.com or host Richard Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org